The original recipe inspiration and this photo are from OhSheGlows.com. She has wonderful recipes and more. I'm posting my altered version as it I made it with great canned tomatoes and it was ready in a flash. Here is her link.
I'd been looking for a roasted tomato soup that uses coconut milk as I enjoyed the one at my local Urban Plates here in Carlsbad and it's the bomb. This is the closest I can find and the guys liked it too. Here are the changes I made.
1. I used chicken stock as I had it on hand
2. Instead of roasting the garlic I used pureed garlic from a tube I got at Von's, it's also the bomb.
3. I used the same brand of coconut milk that Urban Plates uses and it's available at Von's, CHAOKOH.
- 2 large cans TJ's Tuscano marinara sauce
- 1 large onion
- 2 tbsp garlic (the pureed garlic in a tube from Von's is great, find in the veggie section)
- 1 can coconut milk CHAOKOH brand
- 3 cups chicken broth (original recipe uses vegetable broth)
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- for garnish: garlic croutons and a swirl of pesto if desired
1. Saute the onion till soft in a large pot with garlic and olive oil. Add marinara sauce, coconut milk, tomato paste, and broth and stir well.
3. Stir in seasonings and spices to taste. Bring to a boil and then simmer for about 5-10 minutes.