Sunday, December 25, 2016

Mock Urban Plates Roasted Tomato Soup in 30 minutes


The original recipe inspiration and this photo are from OhSheGlows.com.  She has wonderful recipes and more. I'm posting my altered version as it I made it with great canned tomatoes and it was ready in a flash.  Here is her link.



I'd been looking for a roasted tomato soup that uses coconut milk as I enjoyed the one at my local Urban Plates here in Carlsbad and it's the bomb.  This is the closest I can find and the guys liked it too.  Here are the changes I made. 

1. I used chicken stock as I had it on hand
2. Instead of roasting the garlic I used pureed garlic from a tube I got at Von's, it's also the bomb.
3. I used the same brand of coconut milk that Urban Plates uses and it's available at Von's, CHAOKOH. 

  • 2 large cans TJ's Tuscano marinara sauce
  • 1 large onion
  • 2 tbsp garlic (the pureed garlic in a tube from Von's is great, find in the veggie section)
  • 1 can coconut milk  CHAOKOH brand
  • 3 cups chicken broth (original recipe uses vegetable broth)
  • 2 tbsp tomato paste
  • 1 tsp salt or to taste
  • 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
  • for garnish: garlic croutons and a swirl of pesto if desired


1. Saute the onion till soft in a large pot with garlic and olive oil.  Add marinara sauce,  coconut milk, tomato paste, and broth and stir well.
3. Stir in seasonings and spices to taste. Bring to a boil and then simmer for about 5-10 minutes.
4. Blend in a processor, add garlic croutons if desired

and swirl of pesto.






No comments:

Post a Comment